All Saints’ Episcopal Church, Palo Alto, seeks a Music Director/Organist beginning approximately September 1, 2023, to continue and enhance the strong musical tradition of our church. This is a part-time position, approximately 15 hours/week.
The Music Director/Organist will conduct and lead the choir. We have 10-12 dedicated choir volunteers and two paid section leaders. We are a congregation that loves to sing and participate in music and liturgy. Music is an important element in our church experience and is supported by the beautiful acoustic quality of our sanctuary.
The music director/organist will play our Flentrop organ and piano. The organ is a 22-rank mechanical action instrument built by Dirk Flentrop in 1967.
We seek an individual with:
- A demonstrated record of high-quality music performance and leadership
- Experience directing a volunteer choir
- A thorough understanding of Episcopal/Anglican liturgical and musical tradition
- The ability to incorporate inspired sacred music from different eras, traditions, and cultures while maintaining the integrity of the worship experience
- Work with clergy to select music appropriate to the liturgical season
- Attend seasonal music planning meetings
- Lead choir rehearsals and foster fellowship among the choir (Thursday 7:30-9:30pm)
- Play organ and direct choir for Sunday 10 am service with choir and congregational singing
- Maintain choir room and music library
- Plan music for special liturgical services, such as Christmas and Holy Week
- Engage and collaborate with other musicians
- Arrange for a substitute organist when needed
Experience needed: a minimum 3-5 years as a church musician with a Bachelor’s degree in music. A Master’s degree in Music is preferred. This is a non-exempt, salaried position, with salary commensurate with education and experience.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, 3-5 online links to recordings of organ and choral performance, and names of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted until June 30, 2023. Semi-finalists will be invited to an evening choir and organ audition.
All Saints’ Church celebrates diversity, respects the dignity of every human being, and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.