All Saints’ Episcopal Church, Palo Alto, seeks a Music Director to oversee and provide a music
program in support of weekly worship services, including Advent and Holy Week, building on the strong musical tradition of our parish. This is a half-time position, approximately 20 hours/week.
The Music Director will plan and lead congregational singing, conduct and lead the choir, participate in worship planning, and provide musical expertise for all aspects of parish life. The sanctuary houses a 22-rank mechanical action organ (Flentrop 1967), a positiv organ, and a grand piano. We have a dedicated volunteer choir of 15, with 2 paid section leaders. Our congregation loves to sing and participate in music and liturgy. Music is an integral part of our church experience and is supported by the beautiful acoustics of our sanctuary. We currently have a 10am Sunday Eucharist; we anticipate the addition of a Friday evening healing service with contemplative music. We seek to broaden our outreach to the local community, and there
may be opportunities to expand and enhance our music program as part of these efforts.
We seek an individual with:
● A demonstrated record of high-quality music performance and leadership
● Experience directing a volunteer choir
● A thorough understanding of Episcopal/Anglican liturgical and musical traditions is desirable
● A desire to incorporate inspired sacred music from different eras, traditions, and cultures
● Keyboard skills are a plus!
● Collaborate with clergy to select music appropriate to the liturgical season
● Lead choir rehearsals and foster fellowship among the choir (Thursday 7-9 pm)
● Lead music for parish worship, including direction of the choir for Sunday 10 am service
● Maintain choir room and music library; oversee upkeep of keyboard instruments
● Attend seasonal music planning meetings for Sunday Eucharist and Friday healing services
● Plan music for special liturgical services, such as Advent, Christmas, and Holy Week
● Engage and collaborate with other musicians
● Arrange for substitute musicians, as needed
● Serve as point of contact for outside performing groups, including networking, advertising, and collaborating to present concerts in the sanctuary
Experience needed: a minimum 3-5 years as a church musician with a Bachelor’s degree in
music. A Master’s degree in Music is preferred. This is a non-exempt, salaried position, with
benefits; salary is commensurate with education and experience.
To Apply: Email a cover letter; resume; 3-5 online links to recordings that display choral and directing experience; and the names of 3 professional references to email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Semi-finalists will be invited to an
evening choir audition.
All Saints’ Church celebrates diversity, respects the dignity of every human being, and is proud
to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.