All Saints’ Episcopal Church, Palo Alto, seeks a music director beginning on or before September 1, 2020 to continue and enhance the strong musical tradition of our church. Currently we have around 20 dedicated choir volunteers and two paid section leaders, a tenor and a bass. We also have a congregation that loves to sing and participate in the music. The music director will either play our Flentrop organs, or direct our choir, or both. We will work with the successful candidate to hire a choir director or an organist as needed. This is an hourly position at 10-15 hours per week, up to 20 for the combined position.
- Working with the rector, select music to enhance the liturgy
- Participate in choir rehearsals, currently held on Thursday nights from 7:30-9:30pm, as well as between Sunday morning services
- Direct music at 8am service Sundays with organist and congregational singing, but no choir
- Direct music at 10am service Sundays with choir
- Meet with clergy once a week, administration as needed
- Plan and lead music for occasional Evensong services (dates planned out for the year)
- Direct music for Holy Week services in addition to Easter Sunday
- Advent Lessons & Carols in addition to Christmas Eve (two services) and Christmas Day
- Engage and collaborate with other musicians
- Present occasional education programs
- A thorough understanding of Episcopal liturgical tradition is preferred but not required. As well as traditional Anglican and western European music, we would also like someone to incorporate sacred music from different eras, traditions, and cultures.
Experience needed: a minimum 3-5 years as a church musician, a BA or equivalent in music preferred but not required.
To Apply: Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com We will begin considering applications on April 15, 2020.